As a little holiday project, I got to working on mini terrariums. I had a few different ideas that didn’t all work together. So I ended up making three different variants. For one, I have some leafy plants and an animal prop. For the second one, I have moss and an toadstools. And finally cactus/dry succulents. I wanted a tiny sign post prop for the cacti but didn’t manage to get one. I bought the ~10cm glass balls from eBay, and the props from toy stores. The glass balls were filled with a small amount of charcoal followed by soil. The exposed soil on the top is covered with a thin layer of fine gravel. in hindsight, these glass were too small to work well. Also finding suitable plants of the right size can be tricky. Propagating cacti can be a bit of a pain.
I had this idea of using some of my travel photos to create a photo calendar. I would normally go about it using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. But, that would involve a lot of manual work placing dates and days for each month. I would also like to mark some public holidays and friend’s birthdays. So, I wondered if it might be possible to do it with R. After fiddling about with it over the weekend, I managed to make it work. It went better than I expected. And here I am recreating the calendar using some stock photos. All stock photos are royalty-free from Pexels. For the impatient ones, the whole code and images are available at this Github repository. For detailed guide, keep reading.